Student Handbook

Click here to download the student handbook.


Students who currently have three incompletes will not be allowed to register for additional classes. 

Academic Integrity

The standing of an educational institution and the value of a degree from that institution are dependent upon the integrity of study and research carried on at that institution and on the academic honesty of its students, faculty, and staff. The full text of the University's Code of Academic Integrity can be found here.


Personally identifiable information can only be disclosed to people outside the University with the written consent of the student or alumnus in question. Details of the University Confidentiality policy can be found here.

Academic Grievances

Students who have a concern about a matter related to the MBE program, whether it is about a course, instructor, or advising, are encouraged to contact the the MBE Program Director (see MBE Leadership for contact information).

Nondiscrimination Policy

The University of Pennsylvania values diversity and seeks talented students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds. The University of Pennsylvania does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected class status in the administration of its admissions, financial aid, educational or athletic programs, or other University-administered programs or in its employment practices. Questions or complaints regarding this policy should be directed to the Executive Director of the Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Programs here.

Timely Completion to Graduation

While you do not need to take a course every semester, you must complete the program within 6 years of matriculation. Please click here to read the University's time to degree policy.

Leave of Absence

A student may request a leave of absence at any time. A leave of absence may be granted by the program director for up to one year with the possibility of renewal. Students may wish to take a leave for various reasons, including but not limited to, personal circumstances, military service, health issues, or family medical leave. Upon requesting a leave of absence, a student should provide a written request with an estimated date of return. Failing to register for coursework without permission from the University does not constitute a leave of absence. If the student requests leave after the start of the term, all normal drop and withdrawal policies apply.

When returning from a leave, students will contact their program at least thirty days before the start of the term in which they plan to return to confirm they are returning. If a student fails to return from leave within the set time limit or request a renewal, they will be dismissed from the program.

Leave of absence will affect any student loans—either those sought to pay for the degree or those from a previous academic career. This may include loans going into repayment before the end of the leave. Students are encouraged to talk to Student Registration and Financial Services prior to taking a leave of absence to ensure they have planned for shifting financial responsibility.

To request a leave of absence contact an MBE Program Coordinator.

Transfer Credit

Transfer credit is credit given for coursework completed outside of the degree currently pursued. This coursework may be completed at Penn, in pursuit of another degree, (called internal transfer credit) or at another institution (called external transfer credit).

Dual-degree students are permitted a certain number of internal transfer credits, depending on the dual-degree program (see the website). These internal transfer credits may only be accepted for electives. Students who are not in a dual-degree program may be permitted 1 internal or external transfer credit, subject to petition and Program Director approval.

To receive transfer credit for a course taken at Penn (internal transfer), the course must be at the graduate level (unless otherwise stipulated in a submatriculate policy), must be taken as part of post-baccalaureate or graduate level program, must be taken for a grade, and must have a grade of B or better. Transfer credit from programs at Penn other than the Veterinary, Dental, and MD Program will factor into the GPA. Students should speak with their Associate Program Director and program staff to request transfer credit and initiate the process.

To receive transfer credit for a course not taken at Penn (external transfer), the course must be at the graduate level, must not have counted toward another graduate degree, must be taken for a grade, and must have a grade of B or better. External transfer credit does not factor into GPA but counts toward the CUs required for degree completion. Students requesting external transfer credit must provide a) a syllabus for the course b) an official copy of their transcript from that institution displaying a grade for the course. The program will evaluate the request and assign the appropriate credit to the course.

Transfer credit should be requested no later than the start of the term in which a student expects to graduate, though sooner is preferred. No more than 33% of the degree may be transfer credit.

Please send the below form to AJ Roholt at 

Loading tweets...