- Patricia Bleznak Silverstein and Howard A. Silverstein Endowed Term Chair in Global Women's Health
- Associate Professor of Health Policy in the Division of Health Policy, Perelman School of Medicine
- Scientific Director of CHIBE
- Associate Professor of Nursing in the Department of Family and Community Health, School of Nursing
- University of California, Los Angeles, PhD, Public Health
- Stanford University, MBA
- Yale University, BA, History
Alison M. Buttenheim, PhD, MBA, is Professor in the Department of Medical Ethics and Health Policy at the Perelman School of Medicine. She is also Professor in the Department of Family and Community Health at Penn Nursing and CHIBE’s Scientific Director. She also serves as Penn LDI’s Director of Engagement.
Dr Buttenheim is a public health scholar and behavioral scientist whose research addresses persistent behavior change challenges in public and global health. Using the techniques and frameworks of behavioral economics and behavioral public policy, she designs, tests, and scales innovative interventions to prevent and mitigate infectious diseases. A recognized expert globally in vaccine acceptance and in behavioral design, she co-directs Penn’s Behavioral Economics and Global Health Insights (BEGIN) Lab with CHIBE colleague Dr. Harsha Thirumurthy. Also with Dr. Thirumurthy, she helped launch and serves as the Behavioural Science Technical Design Lead for Indlela, a first-of-its kind "nudge unit" supporting innovations in HIV service delivery in South Africa.