Part-time Online Instructors (Remote): Health Care Innovation Lab Courses
The University of Pennsylvania’s Department of Medical Ethics and Health Policy’s online Master of Health Care Innovation (MHCI) invites applications for part-time instructors for 2019–20. Each instructor will facilitate an existing 4-week online lab course in innovation methodology or health care transformation. Labs complement existing lecture-based online courses taught by core program faculty. Lab instructors will work primarily with department staff and teaching assistants, as well as core faculty, to provide MHCI students with guided practical experiences in transforming health care.
Online Lab Course Overviews
- Innovation Methodology: Consult with students to implement design thinking and innovation methodologies in order to define, develop, and pitch an innovation project in their professional context..
- Transformation: Guide students in planning to refine, test, and implement their innovation project (see above), and preparing to cultivate leaders, champions, and collaborators in their vision.
- Provide extensive and detailed feedback on assessments, including guidance for any assignment revisions.
- Lead online synchronous and asynchronous interactions with students.
- Identify student needs and provide timely solutions in collaboration with core faculty and department staff.
- Interact with individual students, may be asynchronous, typically within 1 business day.
- Grade (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory), using a provided rubric; task may be shared with TAs. A 72-hour turnaround is expected.
- Manage and collaborate with a team of teaching assistants.
- Extensive content knowledge in a field related to behavioral economics, operations management, health care delivery, or health care innovation.
- Experience as an instructor or student in courses with an online component preferred.
- Basic web content skills.
- A graduate degree in a related field and prior teaching experience are preferred.
The expected instructor commitment for each lab spans 8 weeks and may be carried out remotely. This includes 2 weeks for preparation, 2 weeks for feedback on summative assessments and up to 15 hours per week during the 4-week lab. These positions pay a stipend of $2,500 and do not include benefits. If you are interested, please submit your résumé/CV along with a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications to Laura C. Hart, Director of Online Educational Initiatives, email@example.com by September 16, 2019.